Thursday, February 14, 2013

Random Thoughts on The Facebook Generation...



In keeping with the spirit of my original intent for this "blog", I have decided to rant about what I affectionately refer to as the Facebook generation.  I don't get you.  I don't think anyone could deny the powerful and even positive impact that Social media has had on our society, and yet I can't help but wonder about the darker side of the whole thing.  I have witnessed so many melodramas play out on Facebook for the whole world to see, it makes me sick.  I don't know what's worse, the people that post their most intimate details and the subtle nuances of every little lover's quarrel they get in, or the people who hang on each and every word, relishing the unfolding nonsense as if their own lives somehow depended on it.  Risking hypocrisy, I admit that I have followed the odd diatribe playing out on walls of acquaintances.  But nonetheless, I find the whole thing just a bit too personal for my taste.

Is it really necessary to share everything with the masses?  Perhaps it provides some sort of cathartic release to vent to the entire world about how you're having a bad day or how Billy-Bob didn't tell you your hair looked nice this morning.  Maybe it's commiserating with the circle of friends who immediately "Like" the post and then take it upon themselves to chime in offering their own commentary on what would normally be none of their business.

Then of course there are the stalkers.  These poor pathetic creatures spend their time rummaging through the pages of Exes, looking for every little flaw they can find with the life their ex partner has created in their absence, and contemplating what could have been.

So life is filled with choices, and God knows I have made a lot of poor ones.  But witnessing some of the romance dramas that play out on Facebook, it makes me realize just how lucky I am to be with the Woman I've got. Definitely made the right choice there.

No comments:

Post a Comment